AM History Profile: WJBY
This station, which
is Gadsden's oldest continually operated station, came on the air in 1947
with 1 kW non-directional days and the same power but directional at night.
It has, until 2007, probably always been WGAD (GADsden). In 1957,
the power increased to its present level, 5 kW. The station was bought
in 1959 by Ed Carrell, Lavelle Jackson and Congressman Albert Rains, and
began playing top 40 music, mixed with pop standards. It continued as a
top 40 station until 1985, when competition from FM mitigated a switch
to news-talk. It moved to the satellite-based oldies format in 2001. In
2002 the station was sold to Gerald Dilts from Ed Carrell; in 2004 Dilts
sold the station to Dave Hendrick and the DR Radio Group. In 2007
the station was sold to Coosa River Communications, who own Rainbow City-based
WJBY 930. They moved the oldies and WGAD callsign to 930, bringing
the WJBY calls here with a flip to sports programming as "The Winner".